Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Self centered vs. God Centered

On Tuesday nights, I am attending a Beth Moore bible study on Revelations. It has been great, because if you have ever tried to read Revelations, you quickly realize that it may just be one of the hardest books to understand in the bible. Beth Moore started the study by asking a question "Are you God centered or self centered?" I thought to myself, "I'm God centered. Of course!" She then asked another question "is there something in your life that is just gnawing at you? Something that is self consuming? Something that has you so self absorbed that you think about it constantly? If so, you are not God centered." Well crap! I thought I was God centered, but I do have something in my life that is self consuming, and that is my body image. I have to admit, although I am blogging to live healthy for Him, and trying so hard to stay accountable, I still have days I look in the mirror and think to myself "No amount of work is going to be able to fix this stretched out skin (except a tummy tuck!), this baby pooch, those big arms, and huge thighs." I am just so very wrong. Alot of hard work, time, and dedication will fix that. As humans, we want an easy fix and we want it right now. I admit that I am jealous of those lucky girls that have thier baby, then go right back to fitting in there skinny jeans. How come that can't be me? I haven't seen skinny jeans since right before I got married! But there is my first wrong-doing. Jealousy. 1st Corinthians 3:3 says "You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men?" Well, I admit that I have been acting like "mere men." And a mere man is not God centered, he is self centered. I MUST make that change and become God centered. Exodus 20:4 says "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of ANYTHING in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below." I emphasized the word ANYTHING because in this day and age, we can make pretty much anything that consumes us as an idol: wealth, fame, work, pleasure. An idol is anything that consumes our thoughts and energy at an unhealthy level. I would have to say that is wrong doing #2 on my part. I had become so concerned with my body image that I was allowing it to consume so much of who I am. I admit I am still working on this and that I must allow God to be the center of my life so that I do not allow "body image' to become my idol. With all that said, there is a way to be healthy and have a positive body image, but I am only going to be able to achieve that if I become God-centered and not self-centered. If you are in the same boat, are you willing to become God-centered to achieve those health goals of yours? Whether it be losing weight, lowering cholesterol, becoming tone, losing baby weight or maybe its something that isn't health related, but it is something that is causing you to be self-centered...whatever it is, you can and will achieve it, with a little help from the awesome hand of our God. Just ask Him. I bet He is more than willing to help ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment